Does Medicare Cover Physical Therapy For Osteoporosis In 2023?

does medicare cover physical therapy for osteoporosis
image source :

Osteoporosis is a debilitating condition that affects millions of people around the world. It causes the bones in the body to become brittle and weak, making them more prone to fractures and other injuries. Physical therapy is often one of the treatments recommended for people with osteoporosis to help strengthen their bones and to improve their mobility. But does Medicare provide coverage for physical therapy for osteoporosis?

What is Medicare?

Medicare is a federal health insurance program that is available to people over 65 years of age and certain people with disabilities. It helps to cover the cost of healthcare services, including doctor visits, hospital stays, and prescription drugs. It can also provide coverage for certain types of medical equipment, such as wheelchairs, walkers, and prosthetics.

Does Medicare cover physical therapy for osteoporosis?

Yes, Medicare may cover physical therapy for osteoporosis. Medicare Part B covers physical therapy services when they are medically necessary and ordered by a physician. This means that Medicare will only cover physical therapy for osteoporosis if it is beneficial for your health. For example, physical therapy for osteoporosis may be covered if it helps to improve your balance, strengthen your bones, or improve your overall mobility.

What types of physical therapy services are covered?

Medicare covers a variety of physical therapy services for osteoporosis including: therapeutic exercises to improve muscle strength and endurance, massage therapy to reduce pain and stiffness, and aquatic therapy to improve balance and mobility. Medicare also covers certain types of durable medical equipment, such as walkers, canes, and crutches, when medically necessary.

What are the costs associated with physical therapy for osteoporosis?

The costs associated with physical therapy for osteoporosis vary depending on the type of therapy and the number of visits required. Generally, Medicare Part B will pay 80% of the cost of covered services after you have met your deductible. This means that you will be responsible for paying the remaining 20%. You may also have to pay a copayment for each visit to your physical therapist. In addition, you may be required to pay for any non-covered services such as braces, orthotics, or durable medical equipment.

What if I need physical therapy for osteoporosis but Medicare doesn’t cover it?

If Medicare does not cover physical therapy for osteoporosis, you may be able to get coverage through Medicaid or a private insurance plan. In addition, some states have programs that provide financial assistance to people with disabilities or chronic illnesses. You can also check with your local hospital or health department to see if they offer any programs that provide financial assistance for physical therapy.


Physical therapy can be an important part of a treatment plan for osteoporosis. It can help to strengthen the bones and improve mobility, making it easier to perform everyday activities. Medicare may provide coverage for physical therapy for osteoporosis, but it is important to check with your doctor and insurance provider to determine if you are eligible for coverage.

Tinggalkan komentar